Monday, January 4, 2010

"The Theology of John Wesley: Holy Love and the Shape of Grace"

I was looking for a book that would explain the theology of the founder of Methodism, John Wesley. Kenneth Collins' comprehensive and thorough study of Wesley has proven to be just that and so much more. "The Theology of John Wesley: Holy Love and the Shape of Grace", though challenging for a newcomer to Wesley and theological study, delivers an in depth look at the historical Wesley and exposes the 18th century preacher's relevance to modern believers.

Collins presents John Wesley's theological system using the writings of Wesley and the historical and cultural atmosphere in which Wesley's theology  developed. As I lumber through this book, I hope to share both Collins's findings and my reflections on those findings.
 
My thoughts will be simple compared to this scholarly work, but I believe that might just please John Wesley whom scholars sometimes refer to as a "folk theologian." Wesley clearly sought to present his theology in a way that was relevant and comprehensible to the average person of his day. That fact and my deep desire to understand Methodism give me some hope I can learn from Dr. Collins, one of the most respected Wesley scholars of our time.

©2010 Larry Chitwood

No comments:

Post a Comment